Conference Director or Coordinator
The conference director or coordinator is responsible for all aspects of planning for the annual conference. Specific responsibilities include:
- Chairing a conference planning committee that:
- Determines the function(s) and objective(s) of the annual conference in the context of the Council’s objective(s);
- Seeks input from others regarding ideas for program;
- Develops a proposal for a conference program including a budget;
- Organizes approximately to accomplish the various jobs (i.e., developing a time line, establishing sub-committees, appointing chairpersons, etc.);
- Considers a detailed contingency plan; and
- Forwards conference information to Stacey McConnell, Special Subject Councils at the STF office, 2317 Arlington Avenue, Saskatoon SK S71 2H8, who in turn forwards a copy to the Conference information to the Saskatchewan Bulletin for “Upcoming Events.”
- Attending executive meetings for the purposes of communication and accountability.
- Facilitating the establishment and operation of required sub-committees (i.e., program, facilities, public relations, etc.) and supporting the chair people by:
- Developing and/or clarifying the various roles and responsibilities of the committees and individuals;
- Providing advice;
- Coordinating the work.
- Attending committee meetings as needed to keep informed and share information;
- Establishing communication links with the editor of the Special Subject Council newsletter or journal; and
- Establishing with the Council treasurer procedures necessary for handling revenue and expenses.
- Preparing and presenting a post-conference report and financial report to the Council executive. It should include recommendations for the next conference director.
- Forwarding all records to the successor.
On assuming the position, the incoming conference director or coordinator should receive from the previous incumbent a package which contains at least:
- A copy of the Council’s constitution; and
- One or more of the previous years’ post-conference reports including recommendations.